MISS GAY TEXAS STATE PAGEANT SYSTEM
ARTICLE I - NAME, PURPOSE
Section 1: The name of the organization shall be Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System.
Section 2: The Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System is a 501(c) 4 Non-Profit Organization. Its purpose is to develop and maintain a high-quality and professional pageant system and be recognized as the “Symbol of Excellence” within the community the pageant serves. The System also supports and promotes men who take the art of female impersonation to a higher level. Annually the system will donate funds back to the community when available.
ARTICLE II - MEMBERSHIP
Section 1: Membership shall consist of the members of the Board of Directors (BOD), Consultants and Advisors as deemed necessary.
ARTICLE III - ANNUAL MEETING
Section 1: Annual Meeting. The date, time and place of the regular annual meeting shall be set by the BOD. Attendees include newly crowned and the BOD.
Section 2: Special Meetings. Special meetings may be called by the Chairman or the Executive Board, (Chairman, Vice- Chairman, Secretary & Treasurer).
Section 3: Notice. Notice of each meeting shall be given to each voting member, by mail, email, or text messaging not less than ten days before the meeting. (See Article 5, Section 1, Letter B)
ARTICLE IV – CO-FOUNDERS
Section 1: Co-Founders shall be known as Bill Lindsey and Michael Champion.
Section 2: The Co-Founders will be members of Executive Board for life and may not be removed for any reason.
ARTICLE V - BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section 1: Board Role, Size, Compensation. The Executive Board is responsible for overall policy and direction of the Pageant System, and to delegate responsibility for day-to-day operations to the BOD and Committee Chairs. The BOD receives no compensation other than reasonable expenses.
A: Officers and Duties. There shall be four officers of the Executive BOD consisting of a Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer. Their duties are as follows:
The Chairman shall lead regularly scheduled BOD meetings. Should the chairman not be present, other members of the executive board will preside in the following order: Vice-Chair, Secretary and Treasurer.
The Vice-Chairman will chair committees on special subjects as designated by the board; ensure bylaws are current, and rules and regulations are followed.
The Secretary shall be responsible for keeping records of BOD actions, including overseeing the taking of minutes at all BOD meetings, sending out meeting announcements, distributing copies of minutes and the agenda to each BOD member, and assuring that corporate records are maintained. Work with advertising to ensure promoter and public relations material are available. All minutes and announcements must be distributed within 7 days.
The Treasurer shall make a report at each BOD meeting. Treasurer shall chair the finance committee, assist in the preparation of the budget, help develop fundraising plans, and make financial information available to BOD and the public
1: The Treasurer shall: ascertain and administer the receipt, maintenance, and completion of the following Tax Authority Requirements
a) State Franchise Tax – due May 15th each year (prior year’s gross receipts)
b) IRS form 990 or 990EZ – due no more than give (5) months following completion of fiscal year.
2: Currently the Treasurer position is held for life.
B: Other Titles of the BOD. Event Coordinator, Director of fundraising and sponsorship, Current Titleholders; Elected Consultants, Scoring Specialist, Publication/Design, and other titles can be assigned as deemed necessary by the BOD.
Section 2: Meetings. The BOD shall meet at least once per quarter, at an agreed upon time and place.
Section 3: Board Elections. Election of a new board will occur as the first item of new business at the annual meeting of the corporation. Members will be elected by a majority vote of the current BOD.
Section 4: Terms. Board Members shall have no specific length of term.
Section 5: Quorum. A quorum must consist of at least 50 percent plus one of the BOD before business can be transacted or motions made or passed.
Section 6: Officers Election and Terms: Officers will be nominated and voted on after new BOD members are approved in new business at the annual meeting. Chairman & Secretary occur every (even) year and Vice Chairman every (odd) year.
Section 7: Vacancies of Officers. When a vacancy of an Officer exists, nominations and voting will be at the next regularly scheduled BOD meeting.
Section 8: Resignation, Termination and Absences. Resignation from the BOD must be in writing and received by the Chairman. A BOD member may be dropped for excessive absences. A BOD member may be removed for other reasons by a three-fourths vote of the remaining directors.
ARTICLE VI - COMMITTEES
Section 1: The BOD may create committees as needed. The BOD Chairman appoints all committee chairs.
Section 2: The Executive BOD shall have all the powers and authority in the intervals between meetings subject to the direction and control of the BOD.
Section 3: Finance Committee. The Treasurer is Chair of the Finance Committee, which includes Director of Fundraising and Sponsorship, and Event Coordinator. The Finance Committee is responsible for developing and reviewing fiscal procedures, a fundraising plan, and annual budget with other BOD members. The BOD must approve the budget, and all expenditures must be within the budget. Any major change in the budget must be approved by the BOD. The fiscal year shall be from October to September. Reports are required to be submitted to the BOD showing income, expenditures and pending income. The financial records of the organization are public information and shall be made available to the public after it has been verified and approved by the BOD.
ARTICLE VII- PROMOTERS / PRELIMINARY OWNERS
See Appendix A – Promoter Rules and Regulations – Page 3
ARTICLE VIII- STATE PAGEANT CONTEST and PRELIMINARIES
See Appendix B Rules and Regulations – Page 5
See Appendix C List of Preliminaries – Page 5
ARTICLE IX- CHARITY BENEFICIARY
Beneficiary will be chosen by the Co-Founders and announced at the State Pageant.
ARTICLE X - AMENDMENTS
Section 1: These Bylaws may be amended, when necessary, by a two-thirds majority of the BOD. Proposed amendments must be submitted to the Secretary to be sent out with regular BOD announcements.
These Bylaws were approved at a meeting of the BOD.
Promoters Rules and Regulations
Definition of a Promoter: A Person or Company that finances and organizes an event or production.
1) All Promoter actions, advertisements, and commitments must be approved by the Chairman or Vice Chairman prior to the preliminary or event.
2) Commit to the format set by the BOD governing the Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System.
3) Create a plan to be innovative with the theme, secure a venue to promote and host your preliminary pageant or event, and adhere to the criteria based on the Rules and Regulations of the Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System.
4) All advertising must begin a minimum of 30 days prior to the event or preliminary.
5) All details of event must be specific and listed on advertisement and submitted to the Chairman or Vice Chairman. Including but not limited to date, time, categories, entry fee, prize package. There must be a minimum registration deadline for contestants of at least 5 days before the pageant prelim, no exceptions.
6) By signing the Promoter Agreement, you are bound contractually to provide the listed items and details written.
7) Preliminary Fees - Total price as a Preliminary Promoter is $450. This includes the two Preliminary Crowns and official sashes for winners, and admission to the State Pageant for both the State Winner, At Large Winner, and the 1st Alternate of each. (No alternative sashes are permitted.) All fees must be paid on or before 30 days prior to the date of the Preliminary and will be collected by the Board Treasurer. All fees are non-refundable.
a. If fees are not paid prior to the start of prelim, then crowns and sashes will not be distributed to the winners.
b. Custom Sashes are not permitted.
8) Reigning Miss Gay Texas State and at Large are required to perform at each preliminary. Their booking fee is $100 each for a minimum of 2 performances and assistance with the preliminary as the promoter deems necessary (within reason) is to be paid prior to the start of the preliminary. Titleholders are required to follow the Code of Conduct.
9) Preliminaries 100 miles or greater outside the DFW area will require Travel Accommodations for the State Title Holders as they deem necessary and within reason but not to exceed hotel lodgings and transportation expenses. All preliminaries must be held not to exceed 50 miles outside of the state line.
10) Attend, Promote, and Support other Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System Events, and encourage their titleholders to do the same.
11) Failure to follow Rules and Regulations will result in elimination of preliminary and/or Event and removal from the Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System. All Rights to preliminary event and name will be forfeit upon expulsion from The Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System.
12) In the event there are no contestants, the preliminary owner may choose to send their reigning titleholders to the state pageant.
13) Promoter Conduct – See page 6 on Contestant Rules
Remember, all members of the Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System are ambassadors and available to assist you in your success. Preliminaries will deliver results based on the work that is put into them. We appreciate your willingness to become a Promoter and we encourage you to leave your mark within the Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System.
As the Preliminary Promoter, it is your responsibility to comply with the Promoter Rules and Regulations as set by the BOD of the Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System. The Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System accepts no responsibility for any agreements or actions between contestants and the Preliminary Promoter. All agreements should be in writing and acknowledged between the Promoter and Contestants.
All preliminary pageants must be scheduled at a minimum of 30 days in advance and will occur even if you have only one (1) Contestant. The Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System will provide judging criteria that must be adhered to. Copies of all judge’s sheets should be retained for review, if necessary. All Preliminaries should be scheduled with the Chairman or Vice Chairman and reigning Miss Gay Texas State and State at Large for guest appearance and oversight.
Each Preliminary Promoter is expected to follow and enforce the written rules and regulations of the Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System, governed by the Executive Board. This agreement is good for one calendar year from the date signed.
As a promoter you are leasing the name of the preliminary pageant. Should you decide not to continue or are removed as a promoter the name will remain with the Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System.
Approval will be at discretion of the Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System Executive Board of Directors.
Preliminary Name: ___________________________________________________________________
Date of Preliminary - _________________ Hosting Venue - _________________________________________
Prize Package Contents-______________________________________________________________________
Contestant Entry Fee $_______ Prelim Fee - $450.00 Titleholder Booking Fee Total - $250.00 ($125 per titleholder)
By signing this agreement, you acknowledge and pledge to adhere to the contents set forth in the Promoter Rules and Regulations as well as contents of this agreement.
Signature of Promoter Date
Printed Name of Promoter
State of Texas County of _______________ Before me,______________________________ (name of Notary) , on this day personally appeared ____________________, known to me (or proved to me on the oath of ______________ or through (description of identity card or other document) to be the person whose name is subscribed to the foregoing instrument and acknowledged to me that he executed the same for the purposes and consideration therein expressed.
Given under my hand and seal of office this __________ day of __________, (year).
(Seal) Notary Public's Signature__________________________________
THE PRELIMINARY MISS GAY TEXAS STATE PAGEANT SYSTEM RULES AND REGULATIONS
Any and all Preliminary Pageants are an official Preliminary to Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System
The Miss Gay Texas State Pageant Systems’ purpose is to develop and maintain a high-quality and professional pageant system and be recognized as the “Symbol of Excellence” within the community the pageant serves. The System also supports and promotes men who take the art of female impersonation to a higher level. Annually the System will donate funds back to the community, when available.
Preliminary or Prelim: a contest or pageant that precedes the State Pageant and produces a State and State @ Large winner.
Promoter(s): one who assumes the financial responsibilities of and including contracting with the Board of Directors, Securing the venue, advertisement, and collecting entry fees.
Contestant(s): one who competes in a preliminary for the State Pageant and has permanent residency in the State of Texas
State: Any contestant that meets the criteria of MGTSPS as defined in #1 of the pageant & contestant rules.
At Large: Any contestant that is 6 ft or taller and/or weighs 200 lbs. or more and meets the criteria of MGTSPS as defined in #1 of the pageant & contestant rules
Affiliates: assistants, friends, dancers, dressers, makeup artists, entertainers, partners, family, or any other person that is with the contestant
Format: all pageant prelims will have categories include evening gown, talent, and on-stage question, with the option to the promoter of holding male interview.
Out of Town: Any location outside the DFW area
Out of State: within 50 miles of state line
List of Preliminaries
Miss Gay Austin State Miss Gay Austin State at Large
Miss Gay Cedar Creek State Miss Gay Cedar Creek State at Large
Miss Gay Dallas State Miss Gay Dallas State at Large
Miss Gay East Texas State Miss Gay East Texas State at Large
Miss Gay Fire & Ice State Miss Gay Fire & Ice State at Large
Miss Gay Fort Worth State Miss Gay Fort Worth State at Large
Miss Gay Golden Globe State Miss Gay Golden Globe State at Large
Miss Gay Houston State Miss Gay Houston State at Large
Miss Gay Lone Star State Miss Gay Lone Star State at Large
Miss Gay Mid-cities State Miss Gay Mid cities Sate at Large
Miss Gay North Texas State Miss Gay North Texas State at Large
Miss Gay Rainbow Ranch State Miss Gay Rainbow Ranch State at Large
Miss Gay Silver Star State Miss Gay Silver Star State at Large
Miss Gay Tarrant County State Miss Gay Tarrant County State at Large
Miss Gay Texas Bluebonnet State Miss Gay Texas Bluebonnet State at Large
Miss Gay Tri-cities State Miss Gay Tri-cities State at Large
Pageant and Contestant Rules
1. All contestants must be male and have no breast implants, hormone enhanced breasts, cosmetic or body enhancing implants below the neck and be the legal age of twenty-one (21) prior to the preliminary entered. Proof of age, such as a driver’s license and/or state issued identification card, passport, must be provided to the promoter or member of the BOD of the pageant, if requested. If for any reason the promoter or BOD finds cause to investigate the age of the contestant, reasonable measures will be taken for the investigation to ensure that the contestant meets the minimum age requirement. If no validation is found, the contestant will be disqualified.
2. Contestants that wish to run for an At Large preliminary must be at least 6ft tall (out of heels) and/or at weigh at least 200 pounds. and adhere to Rule #1.
3. Contestants will be judged in the following categories: Male Interview, Evening Gown, On Stage Question & Answer and Talent.
4. Judging will be based on a total points-accumulated system. In the event of a tie, the winner will be determined by the highest talent score. If there is a tie in the talent scores, the tie must be broken by an onstage question involving the top 2 finalists.
5. Presentation and Theme will be determined each year by the current Titleholders and each contestant is encouraged to participate If for any reason the contestant does not want to participate, additional evening gown may be substituted at the time of presentation. This category will not be a judged category and will not be part of the final scoring. Be creative and have fun with it. A cash award will be presented to the most creative contestant.
6. Talent will be limited to 7 minutes, 2 minutes prop set up, and 2 minutes prop tear down.
7. Contestants should consider their talent appropriate for all members of the audience. Talent shall not cause harm or injury to contestants or others or contain offensive content. Use of projectile props is prohibited. (Direct any questions to current titleholders.) NO PYROTECHNICS are permitted (fire, flash pots, flaming batons, etc.). The use of real or authentic looking weapons is prohibited. Liquids of any nature are prohibited. Fog machines, if used, must be ones provided by the venue. Any containers used must be dry. Any containers that have labels related to “Alcohol” must be cleared through the facility owner prior to entrance. This relates to TABC rules. All items used in any act must be cleaned up immediately or administrative points will be deducted from the overall score.
8. Contestants are to wear an evening gown appropriate for the crowning ceremony.
9. Each contestant will be permitted one (1) assistant in the dressing area at any given time and will be required to have a pageant issued badge. Only one assistant may be admitted at no charge all other dressers, dancers, talent performers and all others must pay the door admittance fee. Dancers will be allowed backstage to prepare 2 numbers prior to their performance.
10. All Winners and 1st Alternates MUST compete at Miss Gay Texas State Pageant. Any Winner who does not compete at Miss Gay Texas State Pageant may be banned from the System for one (1) year and will not be permitted to be involved in any Miss Gay Texas State Pageant functions or preliminary pageant held during the year, at the discretion of the BOD. All prizes including, but not limited to, cash, crowns, awards must be returned to the promoter. Any preliminary winner who is unable to attend the state pageant due to work or health restrictions MUST notify their promoter and BOD a minimum of 30 days prior to the state pageant. The Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System is not responsible for any agreement between the promoter and contestant.
11. The abuse of controlled substances or the dispensing of any controlled substances will not be tolerated. Should any activity occur, the individual will be immediately dismissed and any “state title” may be removed by action of the Executive BOD. Any two (2) Executive Board Members may act on behalf of the board in its entirety.
12. Excessive use of alcohol to the point of perceived “public intoxication” or any inappropriate conduct will not be tolerated. Any two (2) Executive Board Members may act on behalf of the board in its entirety. Any further offenses will be handled on a case-by-case basis with reprimand executed by the BOD up to and including removal of title.
13. Any contestant or their affiliates caught in the act of stealing and/or causing damage to another contestant’s property will be immediately disqualified and removed from the pageant location.
14. All former titleholders in violation of rules #3, #4 and/or #5 regarding controlled substances, public intoxication and or theft at any state function who have already been reprimanded and are in violation of those rules can be subject to being banned from the pageant system.
15. Anyone, including contestants and their affiliates, who cause a disturbance of any kind during a preliminary pageant or at the Miss Gay Texas State Pageant may be disqualified or have administrative points deducted, and could be banned from all future events. We expect all contestants and their affiliates to behave in a professional manner. Any two (2) Executive Board Members may act on behalf of the board in its entirety.
16. Smoking, food, or drink will not be permitted in the dressing areas at any pageant events.
17. Anyone, including, but not limited to contestants, assistants, dancers, etc. caught badgering or belittling any contestant, any judge, any member of the Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System or any affiliates may be immediately disqualified.
18. A contestant cannot run for an At Large Preliminary and then switch to State at the State Pageant. What they choose to compete for in a preliminary will be the title they will compete in at the State Pageant. Winners and/or 1st Alternates of a preliminary may not run for another preliminary during the pageant season.
19. The current reigning Miss Gay Texas State and State At Large winner may not hold or seek other titles during the reigning period. After their reign winners of the Miss Gay Texas State and State At Large pageant will be permitted to run in another pageant system of their choice after their step down within 18 months (not to exceed $125.)
20. The Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System is not liable for personal fundraising of any titleholder and/or 1st alternate who conducts a fundraiser under the MGTSPS umbrella and fails to attend the state pageant must release all funds to the MGTSPS or be subjected to a 1-year ban from the MGTSPS.
21. If at any time there is an issue, there will be an investigation. If you are at fault for violating the By-laws, Rules and Regulations, and/or Code of Conduct you will be disciplined as follows:
a. 1st violation – verbal warning
b. 2nd violation – written warning
c. 3rd and final violation – removal of crown and title. All winnings including money, jewelry and sash must be returned in the condition it was received to the Board of Directors within 72 hours.
Administrative Point Deductions
50 points Drinking or eating in the dressing room
50 points More than one dresser in the dressing room
25 points Failure to clean up stage
25 points (per category) For lineup tardiness including Check-In (Saturday and Sunday), Presentation, Evening Gown, Personal Interview and Talent all at specified times.
50 points Talent Time Violation (includes talent set up and tear down)
100 points Misconduct contestants and their affiliates.
ALL ADMINISTRATIVE POINT DEDUCTIONS WILL BE DEDUCTED FROM THE OVERALL TOTAL SCORE. THE BOD HAS THE RIGHT TO ADMINISTER POINT DEDUCTIONS FOR ANY VIOLATION OF THE CODE OF CONDUCT.
Preliminary and State Pageant Prizes
Winner of Preliminary: (Covered by Promoter Fee)
a. Crown on the night of the pageant
b. Paid Entry to Miss Gay Texas State and State at Large Pageant System
First Alternate of Preliminary: (Covered by Promoter Fee)
a. Paid Entry to Miss Gay Texas State and State at Large Pageant System
NOTE: Any other prize packages are strictly the Promoter’s responsibility. See Promoter Rules and Regulations.
Winner of State Pageant System (State and State At Large)
a. Monetary award upon winning (see #4 under Contestant Requirements)
b. Monetary award after completion of 1st & 2nd benefit show
c. Monetary award upon stepping down
d. Crown the night of the pageant
e. Plaque, Trophy or Certificate of some nature
f. Other items as agreed on by the BOD
g. Paid Entry to compete in another pageant system of their choice (not to exceed $125.) within 18 months
h. A $125.00 fee will be paid to each State winner for each preliminary they attend. This fee will be paid by the preliminary promoter and not the MGTSPS.
First Alternate of State Pageant System:
a. Monetary award upon winning
b. Plaque, Trophy or Certificate of some nature.
Presentation is a judged category for a cash prize – Monetary award upon winning
By my signature below, I , hereby agree to release and hold harmless The Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System (hereafter referred to as the “pageant”). As well, as all official members of the BOD, their agents, servants and employees from any liabilities and/or responsibilities resulting from, associated with, or arising out of my participation in the pageant and/or the title of Miss Gay Texas State or State At Large, any preliminary winners or the official titleholder, including but not limited to, personal injury, or loss or damage to personal property- regardless of whether the loss or injury occurred before, after or during the pageant or any other related activity.
I also hereby release myself from rights to any video recording, audio recording, photography, or motion pictures of the pageant. I understand that I have no rights to any of the recordings that I appear on/in or the future sale, thereof. I hereby agree that my name or any photographs taken of me during the pageant may be used for publication or promotional purposes or in any advertising publicity, including all platforms of social media.
I agree to release and hold harmless any venue where I perform, their employees and agents, from any claim or demand, including attorney’s fees, made by any party due to or arising out of any injury or damage, to person or property, occurring in the night club/bar, or the building in which it is located, due to any act or omission on my part. I expressly agree that (except as may be prohibited by law), my use of the services offered is at my sole risk, the services are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. The Pageant System makes no representation that the services so offered would meet my requirements, or would be uninterrupted, timely or error free, or that the quality of services would be as expected by me. The Pageant System expressly disclaims all warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied
By my signature below, I affirm and attest that I have read the rules and regulations, and the code of conduct governing the Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System and agree to follow those rules. I also agree this Release is a legal binding contract.
Signature – Birth Name Date
Print – Birth Name
Print – Stage Name
Requirements for Miss Gay Texas State &
Miss Gay Texas State at Large
1. _____ Be an active member of the BOD. This includes attending all meetings, carrying your pageant manual with you
always including but not limited to meetings, prelims, and any fundraising events.
2. _____ Attend and participate in ALL prelims AND fundraising events. This includes all fundraisers produced by the BOD. Should you have ANY conflicts it must be approved by the BOD.
3. _____ At a minimum, produce two (2) benefits during your reign. One (1) benefit must be completed within first six (6) months of your reign, with the second benefit should be done 3 months prior to the state pageant.
4. _____ Your cash winnings will be disbursed throughout your reign as follows; $200 at upon winning, $200 after your first completed benefit, $200 after your second completed benefit, $200 when you step down at the state pageant.
5. _____ You will be responsible for acquiring no less than $200 in ads sales and assisting others with advertising for state program.
6. _____ Within sixty (60) days of winning your crown, you MUST present to the BOD your plan of action for your reigning year. You must present your working plan of action at each BOD meeting during your reigning year.
7. _____ Know all promoters and contestants in the pageant system and assist them as needed. Mentor the contestants as one of them will be your successor.
8. _____ You are the FACE of the Miss Gay Texas State Pageant System, and we will promote you to the best of our ability. However, you must always represent the pageant system during your reign. This includes acknowledging the pageant system any time you perform, at any venue, for any reason. Anytime you are representing the pageant system you must wear your crown and/or sash. You are required to supply the BOD your crown headshot within 30 days of being crowned.
9. _____ At any time, there is an issue, there will be an investigation. If you are at fault for violating the By-laws,
Rules and Regulations, and/or Code of Conduct you will be disciplined as follows:
a) 1st violation - verbal warning
b) 2nd violation - written warning
c) 3rd and final violation - removal of crown and title. All winnings including money, jewelry, and sash must be returned in the condition it was received, to the BOD within 72 hours.
10. _____ The newly crowned Miss Gay Texas State and Miss Texas State at Large will be required to uphold these
requirements as well as the Rules and Regulations, By-laws, and Code of Conduct.
Signing this agreement, you are acknowledged that you understand and are agreeing to all terms and duties and that this is a legal binding contract.
Print Birth Name: ____________________________________________________________________________
Signature: ________________________________________________________ Date____________________
State of Texas County of __________________
On this, the _______day of __________,20__, before me a notary public, the undersigned individual, personally appeared ______________________, known to (or satisfactorily proven) to be the person whose name is subscribed to the within instrument,
and acknowledged that he executed the same for the purposes herein contained.
Notary Public ___________________________________________